Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Drive By

I started driving school two days ago, the only freedom I have made use of from those I got when I turned 18. It might seem funny to start quite so late (Lot of you must be laughing, Most people I know atarted driving at 16...) but hell, I'm driving, thats what matters.

Though it's not as fun as I'd expected. The car I'm learning in is pretty old and has no Power steering. Not that I expected it, but it's quite a pain to put the spin on the steering 2 or 3 times every time I do a 90 degree turn.

And my instructor is a strange old cove. He talks non-stop, probably to get me used to concentrating on the road as well as his crap at the same time. Effective, but annoying. He claims he's spent a lot of time in Kuwait and other (quote)'Gulfi country places'(unquote). When I told him my name, his first reaction was to ask me if I was a (translated)'Roman Catholic who worships the Italian God'. I'd like to imagine he means the Pope, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's referring to something else. Maybe the dude who put the incline on the leaning tower of Pisa.

Today he said something about feeling hungry, and proceeded to (as part of my training(, make me drive through some pretty narrow bylanes till he reached a tea shop and got out to have bhajia or something. Bothersome, definitely (he didn't even give me any!) but I can't say I'm not learning quite a bit from him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey you have no idea...in kolkata people dont learn driving even at 20...anyways nice one....and yeah...dev d sure did rock!!!

পৃথ্বী said...

In Dhaka, we start driving at 13(of course, it's illegal >_> ) and start street racing at 17(the only criteria of victory- survive through the traffic congestion and hit the finish line first). By the age of 20, many brave youth gets their driving license endangered.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails