Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dance Teacher Dictatorship

I step out of my room for 2 minutes yesterday, and my mom was watching some crap channel with Saroj Khan teaching people how to dance. One step, two step blah blah blah blablah..

It kinda hit me how silly the whole thing was...I mean, dance was invented as a physical form of showing happiness, kinda like jumping for joy..as part of celebration...you know, back in the old days, the Stone Age, when you didn't get food for a party, you threw a party if you got food!

Saroj Khan's Authoritative commands to the meek and unquestioningly co-operative contestants reminded me strongly of De Fuerher standing before his ranks of stormtroopers watching them march with unfailing rhythm...well, it better have been unfailing, if they didn't want Herr Hitlers foot up their backsides...

Gosh, we live in a Democratic country, and yet we say nothing against the legions of dance teachers and choreographers who try to teach you how to dance, basically telling you how to move, what to do, what not to do, how to look, etc...when in reality it is a form of art, which stems from a persons own creativity...

Sounds like Fascism to me...And as A free citizen of a Democratic nation, I do not take kindly to people abusing their authority and forcing others to do as they say. This is INDIA! here we BRIBE people to do as we say!!

And now, commercialized and perverted beyond recognition, almost tailor-made to make non-dancers feel like dorks...In a moment of pure spite I snatched up the remote and put it on mute...and all of a sudden the show seemed a lot better...it seemed like a robot impersonators convention, which was, quite frankly, hilarious...

Mom wasn't happy though, and my break ended up ending prematurely...

3 comments:

Dylan said...

Voila. I Disagree.


You know arrow, the people who go to compete in those shows, or say people who take Dance lessons, sign up for all that. It's not forced on them, they sign up for it knowing full well what they'll have to go through. Heck, they're even paid, or they pay the dance teacher to be strict.

Also, almost everything man does has developed into some sort of competition. Walking, singing, running, eating.. literally everything has its own field of competition. So its not surprising dancing has one too.

Arr0w said...

Aaah...you misunderstand me, I question the need for organization, the attitude that one must dance in such and such way, and moving in such a way is nerdy while moving in another way is not...

They sign up for being told what to do and how to do it, no 2 ways about it...my dislike for this probably stems from having spent a month at dance class several years ago (forced, obviously...)

And while on the topic of competition, is it possible to compare Bharatnatyam and Salsa? they're both dance forms, but you can't tell me which one is 'better', you can only tell me what appeals to you more...the word 'better' in such a comparison is undefined, Thus how can 'competition' be a defined term for such a situation...

Mihir Pathare said...

STOP WATCHING TV!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't turned on the TV to watch anything for more than 3 years now. Never regretted it. Evaarr!!!!

Cheers! ^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails